An Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan is for anyone up to age 25 who needs additional support. EHC Plans identify educational, health and social needs and set out the additional support to meet those needs.

If you received support before September 2014

You will continue to get help until you are moved across to Special Educational Needs (SEN) support or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan. 

  • If you have a Statement you should move to an EHC Plan by Spring 2018 
  • If you have a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) you should have moved across to an EHC Plan by September 2016

Your school will tell you when they plan to move you to SEN support and your council will tell you when they are going to transfer you to an EHC Plan.

Young people in further education or training

Your ‘transition plan’ drawn up in Year 9 will help you plan for the future after you leave school. You will continue to get support during further education. You can also ask for an EHC assessment if you need more help than the school or college can give you.

Personal budgets

Parents and carers may be able to get a personal budget for their child if they have an EHC Plan or have been told that they need one. It allows parents, carers and the young person to have a say in how to spend the money on the support needed.

For more information, speak to your Careers Adviser or Personal Adviser or visit the GOV.UK website