Housing Benefit helps people pay their rent and is available to those on low incomes.

There's no set amount of Housing Benefit. The actual amount you receive will depend on your individual circumstances and whether you rent from a council or a private landlord. Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is used to work out Housing Benefit for tenants who rent privately.

Contact your local council for more information:

Gateshead Council Benefit Enquiries
Telephone 0191 433 4646

Newcastle City Council Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit
Telephone 0191 278 7878

North Tyneside Council Contact Centre
Telephone 0345 2000 104

South Tyneside Council Benefits Team
Telephone 0191 424 4333

Sunderland City Council Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
Telephone 0191 520 5551

Benefit cap

The Benefit cap limits the total amount of money 16-64 year olds can receive in benefits. This could reduce the amount of Housing Benefit you receive.

If your Housing Benefit doesn’t cover your rent you may be eligible for extra help from your council through a discretionary housing payment.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is being phased in by the Government which will replace six existing benefits, including Housing Benefit, with a single payment. For information vist the GOV.UK website.