There are a number of sources of financial help for young parents. This information is this section is only a guide and does not cover every circumstance. We have done our best to make sure the information is correct. Some of the information may become inaccurate over time, for example because of changes to the law.

Care to Learn

If you are caring for your own child or children and in learning or training, the Care to Learn scheme can help pay for your childcare.

Child Benefit

Child Benefit can be claimed by anyone bringing up a child or young person. It is paid for each child and there are separate rates payable for each child. Before the date you can officially leave school, your parent or carer should automatically receive a letter asking about your future plans. If they do not receive this letter, they should contact the Child Benefit Centre to make an enquiry about their entitlement to Child Benefit.

Child Trust Fund

The Child Trust Fund (CTF) is a long-term tax-free savings account for children born between 1st September 2002 and 2nd January 2011.

Junior ISA (Individual Savings Account)

Junior ISAs (Individual Savings Accounts) offer a simple and transparent way to help parents save for a child's future.

Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit is designed to top up your earnings if you have at least one child and are on a low income. You don’t need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit and it won't affect your Child Benefit.