If you do experience problems at work, there may be a procedure already in place to deal with them, such as a grievance procedure. You may first want to discuss your problems with your manager or supervisor, or talk to someone in a Personnel or Human Resources Department if your employer has one.

If you are still not satisfied, or feel you have been unfairly treated, you could contact your trade union, local Citizens’ Advice Bureau or Acas (the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) who may be able to help you.

Call Acas on 0300 123 1100 between 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm Saturday, or visit the Acas website.

Harassment, bullying and discrimination

All employees are entitled to work free from discrimination and bullying, no matter how long you have been working there. There are laws that protect you, regardless of your age, gender, race, religion and sexuality. If you feel you are being discriminated against at work, tell your manager or another trusted colleague as soon as possible.