If you are under 18 you are classed as a young worker and there are special regulations and protection around the hours you are allowed to work. These are set out in the Working Time Regulations and are different to those for adult workers.
- You cannot work more than 40 hours a week
- You cannot work more than eight hours a day
- You cannot work at night, usually between 10pm-6am but sometimes between 11pm-7am
- You must have 12 out of every 24 hours off work
- You must have two days off each week, which should be together
- You must have a 30 minute break if you work for more than four and a half hours at a time
If you are below the minimum school leaving age, legislation also limits the hours you may work and the types of work you are allowed to do.